Choosing the right tableware for a restaurant and getting it right is of the utmost importance. We probably have ideas, references and models that we have seen elsewhere and that we want to incorporate into our business. But this is a decision that has to be made taking into account not only the aesthetic aspect of a particular dish, but many other things
We are interested in the long-term investment we make and in not replacing broken parts too often or parts that have lost their initial shine too soon.
10 keys to choosing the ideal dinner service for your restaurant:
- Your business concept clearly marks the style of tableware you need to convey a clear identity to the customer. It's not the same as an industrial-style gastrobar where we could think of black dishes as Smoke Black Collection with copper-coloured cutlery, than a Nordic-inspired place where modern flatware with upward edges and simple lines like the ocean collection
- The menu and the style of cuisine to be offered will also determine the concept of the dishes to be chosen. It may be the case that the combination of different pieces appearing successively in alternating colours is required, forms y textures. In the most avant-garde restaurants that bet on creative cuisine this can be an interesting option. In other cases, the same collection may be ideal; we are thinking of kitchens more classic or where the spotlight wants to give up the food entirely. Still, it can be interesting to think of a different design plate for the appetizer or for the dessert to get a more personal touch
- The decoration of the room influences the choice of tableware for a restaurant. We are referring to aspects such as the color range that can go according to the tone of the walls, the tablecloths, the upholstery of the chairs and even the uniform of the living room team. When colour becomes an identity, it must also be reflected in the elements that appear on the table such as the plates or the glasses
Functionality and technical aspects:
- Resistance. It is important that the tableware chosen for a restaurant is resistant to the continuous and intense use to which it will be subjected. We must prevent it from being fragile and make sure it behaves well in the face of possible blows and scratches. It is important that it can be subjected to the high temperatures of industrial dishwashers or even ovens.
- Easy to use. It is interesting to think that the tableware logically occupies a space and therefore it is interesting that it is stackable or easy to store and that its size is adequate and proportional to the size of the tables
- Versatility. It is interesting that a dinner service can be easily combined with pieces from other dinner services if we are going to alternate different dishes. So that they can be presented together without aesthetic clashes. Or that they work just as well in summer as in winter, or with the different types of equipment we have planned.
- Timelessness. If our budget is tighter, it is better to choose a dinner service as timeless and classic as possible. There are very modern pieces, because of their texture or some details that are incorporated, which however will survive without seeming outdated for a long time. Another option is to combine riskier pieces and original dishes (which we will replace before) with more classic ones
- The porcelain Endorsed by its quality and tradition, less fragile than earthenware, it is one of the most popular and resistant materials. Porcelain is composed of kaolin (clay), quartz and feldspar. One of the most noble porcelains is bone ash porcelain or popularly known as "Bone China" which, in addition to the materials mentioned, incorporates a high percentage of bone ash. It is characterized by its high degree of whiteness, transparency, hardness and high impact resistance. In a future post we will tell you the origin of the name Bone and White and its relationship with porcelain... stay tuned!
- Glass and crystal For those seeking to give a fresh air and light to the plate. In addition to which we can find very attractive designs, its strength lies in its durability and low porosity, which is equivalent to more effective cleaning.
- Melamine. Melamine is light and very versatile as it allows for a wide variety of designs. It has the great advantage that it does not break but on the contrary it seems that its particles can filter into the food which is something to take into account when choosing the dishes for a restaurant.
- New natural materials such as bamboo or recyclable cellulose More and more restaurants are choosing tableware made of recyclable and sustainable materials, especially those that have an organic and healthy food concept as the centerpiece of their kitchen. On a design level, it is still difficult to find original tableware in these materials but it is true that they promise to be a trend in tableware by 2020, you can ask us about these new products without obligation!